AHSAA Classifications To Be Announced Jan. 22, 2014
The Alabama High School Athletic Association (AHSAA) Central Board of Control approved the Jan. 22, 2014 board meeting as the date to announce new member school classifications for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 school years. The action came at the Central Board’s regular quarterly meeting Oct. 23 in Montgomery.
Executive Director Steve Savarese said it was important for the AHSAA to have enough time to evaluate the information regarding school attendance numbers which are expected from the Alabama State Department of Education within the next month.
The Central Board also approved a request by the Alabama Independent School Association (AISA) that would allow them to petition to become an affiliate member of the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). The request was made by AISA Executive Director Randy Skipper and AISA Athletics Director Roddie Beck. The AISA schools would be required to register and be recognized by the Alabama State Department of Education.
In other action, the Central Board:
· Discussed a proposal concerning the playing of future football playoff semifinal games at neutral sites. No action was requested or taken.
· Approved the projected expenses for the 2013 Super 6 football championships scheduled at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa Dec. 5-6, and heard an update about the upcoming Super 6 event from the Alabama Sports Foundation.
· Heard an update from AHSAA Assistant Director Greg Brewer concerning video boards in stadiums as well as other business concerning contest officials.
· Denied a request by McGill-Toolen Catholic High School to adjust baseball playoff dates during the 2014 season.
· Denied an eligibility appeal by Murphy High School concerning the Overlapping School Zone Rule.
· Approved the addition of a webmaster position for the AHSAA staff. The new position will help the AHSAA better serve its member schools through its website technology.